Thu Feb 22nd 2018
Growth and Development Update – Leander, TX
The community of Leander is growing in more ways than just its population. As we love our community and its residents, we thought you should be aware of just how much Leander has grown in population, residential housing, development projects and more.
In recent years, the Austin area has become a go-to destination – especially for job opportunities. How much growth have we experienced?
- 2015: 38,962
- 2016: 42,392
- 2017: 49,033
- 2018: 56,267
Population Growth Rate: 14.75% (2017 to 2018)
Where does the population of Leander go from here? As we have witnessed a steady increase throughout the years, it only seems likely that that will continue. Here is a forecast of Leander’s population over the next five years:
- 2019: 63,179
- 2020: 67,686
- 2021: 71,526
- 2022: 75,365
- 2023: 79,205
An increase in population brings about an increase in housing - residential lots, single-family residential permits, single-family final platted lots and multi-family units? Here’s a look at the existing and future housing growth in Leander:
Platted and Future Lot Count
- Existing: 19,102 residential lots
- Future: 12,866 residential lots
Single-Family Residential Permits
- 2015: 1,173
- 2016: 1,558
- 2017: 1,603
Single-Family Final Platted Lots
- 2015: 1,728
- 2016: 1,326
- 2017: 1,499
- Pending: 1,576
- Existing: 1,492
- Under Construction: 872
- Under Review: 647
Housing Unit Growth Rate: 13.10%
- Single-family housing units have increased to 15,423 in 2018– from 13,637 in 2017.
- Multi-family housing units have increased to 1,577 in 2018 – from 1,393 in 2017.
Land Area Growth Rate: 10.67%
The land area inside the Leander city limits has increased to 36.79 square miles in 2018, compared to 33.24 square miles in 2017.
** Information courtesy of the City of Leander, Leander Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center and Williamson & Travis Central Appraisal Districts **
Approved or Under Construction
- Austin Community College’s San Gabriel Campus
- Location: between Toll 183A and Mel Mathis Boulevard
- Scheduled to open for the fall 2018 semester
- Location: south of the intersection of Sheila Drive and U.S. 183, next to Kohl’s
- Expected to open in late 2018 or early 2019
- Holiday Inn Express
- Location: behind the H-E-B Plus shopping center by U.S. 183
- The hotel will have more than 90 rooms and include either a 5,000-square=foot or 10,000-square-foot convention center or at least one restaurant.
- St. David’s Healthcare
- Free-standing emergency development, located at Toll 183A and San Gabriel Parkway, opened January 2, 2018.
- A future phase expects to expand the free-standing emergency department into a full-service hospital.
- Texas Bullion Depository
- Expected to be complete in late 2018 or early 2019
- This location is the nation’s first state-administer gold depository.
The city of Leander is growing rapidly in population, housing units and developments – and, from the data above, it looks like this growth will continue.
Do you have any questions about our great community? Contact us anytime.